Today, Video Management systems are an integral part of any fleet operations. With ever-increasing lawsuits, accidents, thefts, and frauds, fleet companies are constantly on the lookout for integrated video management solutions to counter these challenges and reduce the monetary losses. It enables regular and traditional fleet companies to quickly transition to a smart transit company.
The advent of cloud-based Video Management Software (VMS) and their feasibility in connecting to other IoT systems has revolutionized the business models of many fleet management companies. The nexus of VMS and IoT enables greater visibility, connectivity and controls over the entire fleet. This equation introduces a new challenge in utilizing, managing, and deriving insights of the big data generated, due to the increase of video feeds and the number of connected devices in the vehicle. A cost-effective, modular, and scalable VMS solution, with Video analytics capability, is the need of the hour for many fleet companies. In my previous blog, I had discussed about the different types of VMS solutions and their scalability choices based on organization need.
In this blog, we will discuss the advantages of cloud-based video surveillance in fleet transportation, and how cloud based VMS can assist in improving the operational efficiency of the fleet.
- Remote Access: Whether fleet management companies are managing a fleet of 20 or 200 vehicles, they want to have complete flexibility in accessing the vehicular devices and tracking the vehicles. Cloud-based video management systems for fleet provides anywhere and anytime access to the vehicles. Field personnel can stream the recorded live videos, remotely.
- Manage Big Data: Recording, storing, managing, and viewing videos in real time pose a major challenge for the companies, due to the huge volume of data flow. Cloud-based video management software, with support of NVRs, help in storing and utilizing the big data on cloud. Event-based video analytics and recording helps in optimizing the content flow across the channels.
- Auto-configure Camera & Devices: Fleet Management Companies would require greater flexibility in adding and removing the cameras and other connected devices in the vehicles. A Cloud-based VMS system makes it possible to auto configure and upgrade the cameras and connected devices remotely.
- 360O Vehicle Surveillance: For fleet management, approx. 8 cameras are required to capture the vehicle from all directions, both inside and outside. A cloud-based VMS allows you capture constant videos, event-based videos and still images covering all the sides of the vehicle.
- HD Quality Videos/Images: Quality of video matters a lot in Vehicular surveillance. Captured videos can be used for evidences in lawsuits, analyzing condition of the vehicle, consignment and driver condition, at the time of accident. Therefore, a full HD quality video is essential. It is very difficult to shoot videos or capture images in a moving vehicle with changing views and lighting conditions. Therefore, with improvements in camera technology, there is a greater market is demanding for 4K IP-cameras that can produce ultra-high definition videos, in & out of the vehicle.
- Enhanced Video Analytics: The video surveillance area in the case of moving vehicles keeps changing constantly. Hence, the requirements of video analytics in fleet transportation tends to be very complex based on static use cases. Features like intrusion & theft detection, perimeter protection, incident capture, face recognition, number plate detection, vehicle counting, vehicle-to-vehicle communication, etc. play an important role in in-vehicle surveillance.
- Constrain Unlawful Activities: Video surveillance is a powerful tool to check suspicious activities and send alerts during emergencies. With cloud video surveillance, fleet managers can check behavioral activities of the driver while driving. They will be able track real-time rash driving behavior, traffic rule violations, un-authorized vehicle usage, improper navigation etc.
- Sync with Connected Devices: Cloud-based VMS provides complete controls over the vehicular devices by allowing all connected devices to work in coordination with the IP cameras. The visuals from the cameras can be viewed on any PC/tablet and smartphone using a web-based or mobile-based application. It projects live visuals, using widgets to control the connected devices. On-screen widgets like accelerometers, door sensors, emergency alarms, GPS device, ignition system, fuel gauges etc. with the live video streaming provides greater controls over the vehicle.
eInfochips helps the fleet management companies with an affordable and efficient cloud-based VMS solution for fleet transportation. A VMS solution, supported by a full suite of Video analytics, is useful for small and large fleets in commercial and Government projects. These affordable and efficient VMS include a microservices-based architecture, giving complete flexibility and customization. With multitenancy, federated, and cloud-based architecture, the cloud based VMS solution allows scalability to adapt to any no. of cameras, devices, servers and vehicles. Check here to know when to opt for a cloud based VMS.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Anshul Saxena is working as Assistant Marketing Manager at eInfochips. He has more than 9 years of experience in corporate marketing, inbound marketing, digital marketing, and business development. Anshul holds an Engineering degree along with MBA in Marketing.