Automotive connectivity solutions has progressed incredibly over past few years and now connected vehicle ecosystem is transforming the driving experience. Continuously increasing demands for safe driving, personalized in-vehicle digital systems, and evolving connectivity trends like V2X, predictive maintenance and OTA updates are converting vehicles into smart machines, which connects the driver and passengers with the outside world. To achieve this kind of flexibility in connected vehicle environment, new age automotive HMI solutions need to be much more sophisticated, significant, and contextual for the users.
All the modern day vehicles are equipped with different sorts HMI technologies. Innovation in connectivity solutions, low cost HMI software and enhanced UX has increased its demand in the auto market. Their sophistication, applications, and features keeps on adding as we move up in the economic segments of the cars. Human- Machine interfaces in automotive environment are incorporated in every possible touch point and assists driver and passengers to control infotainment, connectivity solutions and ADAS applications.
Let us checkout the product wise installation of the automotive HMI solutions in a vehicle:
- Heads-Up Display: HMI through heads up display (HUD) displays information directly in the driver’s line of sight and enable driver to intuitively access vehicle’s infotainment system. HUD is considered as key interface to control all the functions of the vehicle like media, connectivity, navigation, parking assistance, entertainment, smart-phone integration etc. Latest HMI for HUD use OLED display technology for virtual dashboards with curved screen.
- Rear Seat Entertainment Systems: Rear Seat Entertainment displays are passenger based automotive HMI solutions with high clarity. Latest rear seat systems supports in-car entertainment like movies, games, music, apple car-play, Android Auto, navigation etc.
- Steering based controls: Steering wheel based HMI solutions enables driver to automate the process of driving to some extent. Intuitive steering wheel uses touch technology to react to touch or tap by the driver to manage functions like volume, call connect, hands free etc. It also manages gesture control to detect whether vehicle is in driver’s control or not.
- Digital Instrument Clusters: In-vehicle digital cockpit with digital instrument clusters are in great demand in high-end vehicles. Digital instrument clusters include speedometers, tachometer, function displays, route planning graphics, display video feeds from vehicle cameras etc. HMI of the instrument clusters can be personalized as per user’s requirement and helps in managing driving information like speed, fuel level, trip, temperature, air vent control and more.
- Voice recognition and voice guidance: Voice Assistants and Voice-Guided Interfaces are in huge demand as they reduce driver distractions and provide advanced comfort and convenience features in the vehicle. Companies like Apple and Google with their in-car applications like apple car-play and google android auto helps drivers to find directions, send emails, make phone calls, and play music, all by using voice recognition and voice guidance systems.
Advantages of automotive HMI solutions:
The automotive HMI solutions are evolving very fast to provide unprecedented experience to the driver and passengers. Here are some of the advantages of automotive HMI solutions:
- Improved In-Vehicle Experience: Automotive HMI solutions provide improved in vehicle experience by enabling drivers to interact with the outer environment via touch-screen, head unit, three dimensional heads up display, instrument clusters, steering push buttons, control panels, and advanced infotainment systems.
- Multimodal HMI Solutions: Multi-modal HMI solutions allow drivers to simultaneously manage in-vehicle functions and prioritize information to reduce the driver’s efforts while driving. Multi-modal interfaces along with ML capabilities helps in dealing with vehicular functionalities through visual display systems, face and gesture recognition, voice recognition, surface and mid-air haptics and more.
- Key to Autonomous Driving: A highly sophisticated HMI solution helps in achieving features of autonomous driving and take control on some of the applications of the vehicle while driving. Automotive HMI helps in surround view parking, object recognition and detection, notify driver in case of distraction, improves safety by interacting with other vehicles, and objects around the vehicle.
Future of Automotive HMI: Haptics Technology
Driver distraction is a big issue while driving and automotive companies are coming up with innovative technologies to minimize the same. Most of the companies are using capacitive touch screens, buttons and knobs in in-vehicle HMI applications, which do not generate tactile feedback to the driver. This leads in driver’s distraction while visually confirming if the given input is accepted or not. This is where haptics technology comes into picture. When integrated with in-vehicle devices, haptics provides tactile feedback or a sense of touch into human-machine interfaces.
For instance, if driver want to change the radio station while driving, with capacitive HMI technology he will be just touching the glass, and will have to look and confirm whether the radio station has changed or not. While, automotive HMI solutions based on haptics generate gesture and pressure driven tactile response and provide acknowledgement to the driver on his action to change the radio station.
Haptics is a sensory thing; it eliminates the habit of visual check of the actions given to HMI interfaces and reduces driver distraction while driving. Haptics signals (particularly for ADAS) are very personalized and transmitted just for the driver to sense and act. Its quick reaction time, connectivity and sense of control has made it a trending technology, which has great acceptance in the automotive HMI market.
Automotive Engineering Services & Solutions – Brochure
eInfochips as an Automotive IoT solutions provider, offers services in HMI and user experiences like, personalization, speech and gesture recognition, smartphone integration, and more. enfochips helps automotive companies to design automotive HMI and UX solutions using multimodal experience (touch screen integration, voice recognition, gesture control), usability engineering (graphics design, usability assessment and testing), multi device experience, and technological expertise. Know more on Automotive IoT Solutions.