1. Why gateways are required in an IoT solution?
Ans: An IoT gateway bridges the communication gap between devices, sensors, equipment, systems and the cloud. By systematically connecting the cloud, IoT gateway offer local processing and storage, as well as an ability to autonomously control field devices based on data inputs by sensors. IoT gateways also enable customers to securely aggregate, process and filter data for analysis. It helps ensure that the federated data generated by devices and systems can travel securely and safely from the edge to the cloud.
2. What is the biggest challenge in creating an IoT gateway solution?
Ans: The biggest challenge lies in enabling interoperability by supporting multiple connectivity sensor protocols, like Z-Wave, ZigBee, BLE, Wi-Fi, BACnet etc. The connected sensors and devices, in an IoT ecosystem, should be able to seamlessly intercommunicate with other devices through the Gateway or send the required data to the cloud.
3. What are the key functionalities required in an IoT gateway?
Ans: The following functionalities are essential in an IoT gateway solution:
- Support for multiple connectivity protocols
- Should be scalable, hardware-agnostic and OS-agnostic
- Should enable computing at the edge by defining data processing rules through the cloud control panel
- Utilize local storage to provide backup in case of network failure
- Integrate edge data with your existing enterprise systems or IoT platforms using our API console
- Manage your entire device infrastructure from a single interface – perform firmware updates, get device health and diagnostics information to enable predictive maintenance
- Secure the entire communication pipeline by managing encryption, certifications, role authorizations and authentication
4. How to secure the IoT Gateway?
Ans: Security should be an integral component in any IoT ecosystem. Active and passive network attacks, including device monitoring, eavesdropping, man-in-the middle and jamming are few common examples of attacks. The need here is to safeguard the IoT assets, through the use of complete IoT device life cycle management controls and a layered security approach. Layered security should include network security, application security, device security and physical security. Security strategy should ensure secured connectivity to IoT gateway along with payload encryption, device identity using certificates, and encryption of data at rest and in transit.
5. How eInfochips IoT Gateway can help you?
Ans: eInfochips has developed an Intelligent Gateway Framework for product and solution companies to securely connect to the cloud and remotely manage their sensors, devices, and applications. The ready-to-use hardware and platform-agnostic framework empowers companies in various verticals including home and industrial automation, security & surveillance, connected healthcare, precision agriculture, logistics and supply chain, and other related industries to enable edge and fog computing capabilities within their existing frameworks, and accelerate the time-to-market for their connected solutions. Our solution strength areas include:
- IoT Integration services: End-to-end integration of IoT data with enterprise apps, data stores, BI tools etc. The gateway solution connect to a variety to edge devices with our pre-packaged libraries for Bluetooth, Wifi, ZigBee, Thread, Z-wave and more. We also support communication using industrial automation protocols such as OPC and DDS with an ability to connect to any cloud storage or analytics platform over MQTT, CoAP, AMQP or XMPP.
- Rapid prototyping/application development: We support this to help you rapidly realize an end-to-end web and mobile pilot solution to help evaluate the benefits of IoT for your specific needs.
- Edge computing: Our expertise in edge computing enables IoT solution providers to optimize their computing infrastructure by distributing load between the cloud and edge devices in an intelligent way through our ready-to-use dynamic rule engine or custom solutions.
- Device/cloud management: Our strong Device Management skillsets and cloud management solutions will manage your entire device infrastructure while providing best-in-class scalability for business growth from thousands to millions of devices.
- VMS services: We also offer efficient Video/Media management from edges through our unique and proprietary VMS on cloud solution offering.